Calling all astronomy buffs or buffs-to-be! Sorauren Stargazers is announcing a 2021 program of planet watching, constellation touring and meteor viewing, all in a friendly, everyone-welcome and COVID-safe format.
Note: All dates are tentative! Stargazing relies on clear skies and there’s no point if the clouds roll in.
Sign up to the Sorauren Stargazers email list for date confirmations, alerts and news, and follow @SoraurenPark on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for updates. If you’re an experienced Stargazer and would also like to volunteer to help, let us know.
Meet by the shipping container near the baseball diamond at the times indicated. Dress appropriately for cool evenings.
Spend your Family Day in the community with a swing by Sorauren Park. The weather is looking promising for a great day of skating and shinny on the natural ice rinks, brought to you by the Sorauren Park Hosers.
Then, the Sorauren Farmers Market will start early at 2 p.m., with tunes, hot chocolate, treats and goodies, running till 7 p.m. in the Fieldhouse by the rink.
If the skies are clear, Sorauren Stargazers will set up the telescope for early-evening views of Jupiter, its four biggest moons, the Orion nebula, and other heavenly sights.
Bring your own fun things to do, too! See you at the park on Feb. 16.
Family Day promises to be special at Sorauren Park this Monday, Feb. 17!
- The Sorauren natural ice rinks — with pads for all-ages shinny and pleasure skating — have enjoyed an awesome year and will be ready for fab fun.
- The Sorauren Farmers’ Market will open an hour early, at 2 p.m., on Monday in the Fieldhouse, with hot chocolate, baked goods, activities for kids and many other special treats!
- Participate in the snowman competition!
- Free Family Day cookie with your hot chocolate at Sunny Joe’s Cafe on Sorauren Avenue
- If the skies are clear, at 6:30 p.m. the Sorauren Stargazers will set up the telescope to have a look at the moons of Jupiter… the gas-giant planet has been blazing brightly in the eastern and southern skies all winter.
See you at the park!
Come to the Roncesvalles Polish Festival this Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 14 and 15, and make sure to drop by the Wabash Building Society booth to learn about the latest developments at Sorauren Park.
We’ll have news on Sorauren Town Square construction, with Phase 1 expected to start only weeks away in mid-October. What encompasses Phase 1? Find out at the booth! Also learn more about the Metrolinx noise walls, join the winter rink team, find out about Sorauren Stargazers, and more.
We’ll be there both days from approximately 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. with maps, drawings, hand-outs and great conversation. Enjoy the Festival!
THIS STORY HAS BEEN UPDATED: The west side rink pad at the park is open for skating after a big shovel … thanks to the hardy volunteers of all ages! And thanks to Peter for lending the snowblower; sorry we used all the gas.
And big thanks to Parks, Forestry and Recreation for coming by with the plow later in the day to clear the east side!
Flooding tonight, Saturday, at 9 p.m. Special feature: Telescope for checking out the moons of Jupiter. Spectacularl sky today and tonight, carpe diem!