Hosted by Councillor Gord Perks and city staff, the meeting will present a design concept for the park, home of the popular playground, basketball court and wading pool across the street from Sorauren Park. Construction is planned for 2020.
The Friends of Charles G. Williams Park have been advocating for commuunity input into the redesign. The Friends are happy to report the initial concept plan for the park incorporates most of the features they have advocated for, including:
1. Relocating the existing Sorauren entrance north, to the corner of Wabash and Sorauren;
2. Updating the toddler wading pool to an all-ages splash pad;
3. Re-grading the north-west corner of the park to ensure proper drainage;
4. Increasing the tree canopy cover;
5. Refurbishing the basketball court, including new basketball standards;
6. Planting a Vimy Oak tree as a centrepiece to acknowledge the Park’s namesake, a First World War soldier and local resident.
“The city’s initial concept plan will not be confirmed until the community consultations are held at the December 4th meeting,” write the Friends of Charles G. “Therefore, we are seeking your support as a neighbour and park user to attend! Without your attendance, the full scope of the plans could be in jeopardy.”
Learn more at the Friends of Charles G. Williams Park website.